Friday, August 30, 2013

A link to this blog showed up on eBay the other week...

I guess it's not really stealing when you provide a link to someones picture, and don't actually rehost it. You are only kind of using it without permission. Seeing as how this person literally just provided a link to this blog to show a picture of the potential blooms of a Grammatophyllum scriptum var. kiilani, and didn't actually use my picture I just laughed. Here's a screen shot of the event, as this eBay auction is long over.


LOL  Why? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why my picture? It was only of 2 flowers. They typically bloom with much more than that, but I had some bud blast as it was shipped in spike. There are so many better pictures of what this orchid has to offer than mine. This is just funny and strange to me. If this person had contacted me and asked to use the picture, I would've said yes, maybe on the condition I could watermark it, but I guess this is much easier...

Not a big deal, which is why I edited out some things, including the sellers username from the sceenshot. I just found it amusing, this being my 1st experience with my pictures being used to sell plants online, something I know many of you that put your pictures up publicly online have experienced.

Click here for a working link to the post in question. Is it because I mentioned to someone in the comments that these pop up for sale on eBay from time to time? Or is that just a wacky coincidence?

8 comments:

  1. I think if they link to your blog it is flattering that they selected your photo. It is not so good when they just show your photo without any suggestion that it is not their plant. I have even seen forum posts where people not only upload my photos but then repeat things I have said suggesting it is their own comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's why this was just funny and surprising to me. I would be super pissed if someone stole not only photos but comments, that's the worst! People surprise me with that sort of thing all the time. How desperate for attention can one be! Pathetic.

      My photos are not the best of these flowers to be found on the internet, a quick Google search will bring up way nicer pictures than mine. That added to the weirdness factor of seeing this, and I guess made it strange rather than flattering.

      Delete
  2. Hey Melody,

    I'm sorry this happened to you and really sympathise. About two years back, I had to go through my website and put copyright notices on everything because someone started using my Sarracenia photos on their ebay store. What surprised me is that I knew the person who did it through a carnivorous plant society. The individual in question, when confronted, waited until the auction ended, pled ignorance (although how you can plead ignorance to decency is beyond me), then promised never to do it again.

    Just remember - many people love your blog, love sharing in your joy of growing plants, and enjoy sharing your success. Don't let this rob you of the pleasure you get from your hobby, or the good you are doing by sharing your knowledge and skills. Keep up the great work!

    Best wishes,

    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that's really bad. This I don't really mind so much, this person kind of found the loophole in the rules to use pictures without actually using them, lol. Your situation is much, much worse!

      Delete
  3. Strange, but stay with the idea that like your blog and is followed, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. why grammatophyllum scriptum var killani??? I could be victim of this kind scam...I'm glad you mention it here on your blog...BIG thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you do take awesome pant photos & your plants do look awesome too. I would definitely want to use one of your photos, but would credit you of course. Copyright is so confusing. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comments now disabled on this particular post due to the overwhelming amount of spambots that have decided this is the best place to try and leave a link to who knows what. If you feel you've got something important to say on the topic, you'll have to email it.

    ReplyDelete