Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Neofinetia falcata 'Kuroshinju'

I'm so excited about this orchid! There's no flower pictures so don't bother scrolling down looking for them if that's what you're here for. I just got this little one in the mail today. Neofinetia falcata is my favorite orchid. I already have a few different forms/cultivars. I plan on collecting a lot more. Neofinetia falcata was the 1st orchid I ever purchased (and unfortunately my cat ate.) N. falcata 'White Tara' x 'Crystal Palace' was the first orchid I ever got to bloom. They do really well here, the weather and seasonal changes are similar to that of Japan (and a few other Asian countries), where these guys come from. I can easily provide them with cooler winters and hotter humid summers. Every year the mature ones either bloom or start growing a new "fan" of growth.

Neofinetia falcata 'Kuroshinju'


So back to 'Kuroshinju.' I have wanted this orchid for years, ever since I knew it existed. Neofinetia falcata culivars can really only be bought in the US from a limited amount of vendors, only 2 places carry a consistent amount of variety. (I think those 2 importers are where all the other vendors that occasionally carry them get them from in the first place.) They also aren't cheap which is why I'm extra thrilled about this one. When I came home and saw it I nearly had a "Kristen Bell Sloth Meltdown" . It's a good thing I'm just not an emotional person otherwise I'm sure I would've had a similar reaction.

'Kuroshinju' is an ultra miniature Neofinetia form, each "fan," is only going to get 1'' or 2.54 cm large.  Although Neos are considered monopodial, they do have this sympodial growth habit of making more growths and grow from all the points at the top of each fan. The name 'Kuroshinju' I've seen spelled a variety of ways, but translates in English to "Black Pearl."

I apologize to all my non US readers, I know there's a lot of you. I used a US dime for size reference as I couldn't find my measuring tape or any object like a bottle cap that's more universal. So you've also got my thumbnail for size reference.

So tiny!
I ordered this one from a vendor I'd never bought from before as a 2-3 growth plant for $30. That's more money than I think I've ever spent on an orchid in my life. That's also a more than fair price for it compared to the competition. If you enlarge the above picture you can see it's starting it's 4th fan of growth, an unexpectedly nice surprise when I looked it over. It's in great condition too. If I can afford to order more Neofinetia cultivars I'll be ordering from Satomi at Seed Engei again. There's a lot more of them I need, so it's only a matter of time really!




4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is tiny! Looks very healthy though. Congratulations on finding/owning your favorite plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! All the Neofinetia falcata cultivars are my favorite orchids, but miniatures are so fun this might end up being my favorite out of them all.

      Delete
  2. Omg,that is so tiny, you've either got a mammoth green thumb or that plant is super cute, it must be related to Lithops. Congrats on a lovely acquisition! Lol, the Kristen Bell video is hilarious, she's a great actress, but she almost cried when Ellen freaked her out, haven't seen it before, great clip, super cute sloth. Found the flower btw, in google, and its beautiful, very cheerful flowers. "Black Pearl", I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, no my hands are actually very small, small gloves are a little long in the fingers for me! I'm not sure about the black pearl name, maybe it has something to do with it being small/rare? I have another one, 'Suikadan' that translates to "Imperial Flag", not sure why, but it's a cute name for an orchid too.

      I immediately thought of that Kristen Bell video when I was so excited getting this package! It's the most hilarious excited reaction ever. I love sloths too, so I can't blame her, but I'm glad I'm not a crier like that!

      Delete